Friday, February 24, 2012

HIDI part 2; Tapering a tang

First I will apologize; I didn't really intend to do a step by step build.  I was just trying to learn how to use my camera better.  The pictures get better and more comprehensive as we go along.


 The two pictures above are of the post-hollow grind, pre-taper.  I coat the butt of the knife with Dykem and use a height gauge to scribe the desired taper thickness.  I have more success taking the hollow completely off the butt of the knife as opposed to creating a oval shaped hollow starting near the guard and ending somewhere near the butt.  ( t-b Utility Hunter, Chute, Mini-Wilderness, and three different pattern Stiffhorns (these are original Loveless patterns the bottom is the traditional, more common))
 I am fortunate enough to have a surface grinder; this allows me to make sure that my flat platen is FLAT. It is amazing how little grinding it takes to cause a significant depression in the original KMG platen ( I haven't had the time to make a full hard platen).
 Everybody seems to have their favorite way of flat grinding or tapering a tang.  I have had success using the top secret welding magnet. Two things make the magnet a favorite; the hole allows for a positive grip and the large flat surface allows even pressure on the tang (seems like I can get them flatter).
 Post tapering; nice and flat! Taking the original hollow fully off the butt of the handle makes starting the bevel easier with less material to remove.
 Top view of three tapered tangs.

No comments:

Post a Comment