Sunday, August 5, 2012

HIDI part 9; handles

The fixture I use for drilling straight holes in handle material being attached to a tapered tang.  It is super high tech; some scrap aluminum and a 1-2-3 block.

I clamp onto the ricasso; the center line is parallel to the fixture and thus  I can drill a straight hole through the handle material.  I use a couple drops of cyanoacrylate and Micarta wedges to support the handle scale.
Fixture clamped in my mill vise.

Drilling my holes; I then flip the knife over and and follow the above steps for the other side.
Holes drilled, hardware ready, everything media blasted and ready for glue up.

Glued, screwed and drying.
Rough shaping; grind all bolts level and handle material close to the tang.
Handle contouring starting; grinding handle material down to guard.
Grinding in the heel hollow
Roughly shaped and ready for a whole lot of slack belt work.

My slack belt work starts at 100P and ends at 1200P...

No comments:

Post a Comment