Sunday, March 17, 2013

My Grinding Gear (Part 2)



Currently I use the KMG  primarily with the pictured attachment; in the picture configured for slack belt grinding.  The belt runs across the two rollers without any backing.  This set-up allows for blending the contours of the handle after rough shaping.

With the hardened O1 platen attached I use it for tapering tangs.  The platen that comes with this two wheel attachment is mild steel. After profiling or doing any grinding with it it quickly develops a depression which means flat grinds or tapered tans that are not flat.  So I purchased some O1 and made two fully hardened platens.  They still wear but I am fortunate enough to have a surface grinder with which I can quickly bring them back to flat.

Or with a 36" radius platen attached for full height hollow grinds on some of my beefier knife designs.  This Radius platen is made by knife maker Nathan Carothers in small batches and offered for sale every so often.  The initial thought behind these was duplicating the large stone grinding wheels of days gone by.

Next up is my GIB (Grinder In a Box). Because of its taller profile I use it primarily with the wheels for hollow grinding (it's easier on the neck and back).  It is here pictured with a 10" wheel.
A 6" and 3" wheel; I could not do what I do without these three sizes.
Of course I can't leave well enough alone so I also added a gas compression spring to this grinder also.  This is easily done by abandoning the standard tracking arm pivot hole.  I enlarged the hole provided for the tension spring and used this as my pivot.  The tracking arm is effectively longer and provides room for mounting the cylinder .
I also milled a slot in one of the two holes designated for the tracking arm bracket.  This allows the assembly to be pivoted about 1/8-1/4" for aligning the tracking wheel with the drive wheel.

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. The platen that comes with this two wheel attachment is mild steel. After profiling or doing any grinding with it it quickly develops a depression flame cutting which means flat grinds or tapered tans that are not flat.

    ReplyDelete